Thursday, July 17, 2008

Musica

My friends have informed me that I am incredibly out of touch because I recognized maybe three of the songs on Rock Band. I told them that I knew this already and didn't see it as much of a problem, but they insist I would be a better person if I would get a clue when it comes to modern music. The problem is that I can't listen to the radio, except NPR. The commercials, the DJs and the wading through the crap to get to the good stuff on commercial radio stations is too annoying and too much work. So, I ask you, reader, what should I listen to? Here's what's on my Walkman (which I like, btw):

Lots of classic rock (Aerosmith, CCR, Queen)

Lots of 80s (Bananarama, Bangles, Madonna, Huey Lewis)

Some alt-country (Wilco, BR549)

Every album ever by Mellencamp, Sheryl Crow, and Led Zeppelin)

The only tracks I would consider "current" are about four by Bowling for Soup and one each by the Killers and the Foo Fighters.

Also, Regan already pretty much did this, but with books, so I'm ripping her off again.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Don't you know that by the time a song is on the radio it is yesterday's news? Real music fans are part of the scene, and find the up and coming bands to be fans of. When those bands hit it big they are by definition "sold out" and are no longer worth listening to.

And besides, listening to music that is not indy is a betrayal of the spirit of music. Fight the Man!