Friday, March 11, 2005

James Watt quote made up?

Thanks to Peter for pointing this out. I blogged about it last month, but the link appears to be gone! Hmmm...

"I said I had made a mistake in quoting him without checking with him," Moyers told E&P today. "I should have done my homework."

How does this kind of stuff happen? When did reporters get so careless? As a reporter, I always double-checked stuff to the point of paranoia. Why do some of these people think it's ok to play fast and loose with the truth? I just don't get it.

3 comments:

Peter Schrenk said...

Well, this case is not nearly as bad as Dan Rather's (badly) forged TANG memo documents. I think both cases show just how strong temptation is for reporters to present information that is both sensational and supports the reporter's worldview. There was probably a time early in Rather's career when he would have been more diligent.

This is why transparent biases are such a big deal to so many consumers of news media. Moyers and Rather have been transparent in their biases for a long time whether they intended to be or not.

Jack Mercer said...

We're talking Moyers here, Kathy. One of the biggest subsidized hacks around. If not for NPR he would have never rated a real job.

Jack Mercer said...

Oh, and remember this, Kathy, when ideology supercedes all, ethics don't matter--morality is relative--just so the goal is accomplished. Hitler, Mao, Madeleine O'Hare, Nelson and Winnie Mandela--perfect examples.