Saturday, April 19, 2008

Marty Brennaman calls Cubs fans idiots

The Reds announcer (whose son, Thom, is one of the best in baseball, imho) wasn't far off with his comments. But then, he had to go and say this:

"[Compared to Cubs fans] Cardinals fans are hands down the best in baseball. They respect the game. They don't go to the game to do stupid stuff. …" Um, how about picking fights with 12-year-olds? Threatening Cubs fans in San Francisco?

that said, here are some comments from the Trib story, which I pretty much agree with:

I have been a Cubs fan all my life, but you know what? Brennaman is right. I was at the game on Tues. night in the bleachers, where I have typically sat since I was in gradeschool (in the 80s), and the people there were the worst I've ever experienced. They were more interested in razzing Corey Patterson than they were in the game; they cared more about their beer and getting wasted and talking on their cells phones than the game. The latter behavior I've gotten used to. But the former? Why does everyone have to "suck"? Why do we have to shout profanities and rude names at opposite players? Is that maturity? Is that even sportsmanlike? Is that a fan? I think not. I'm a fan and I would never act like the idiots in the crowd on Tues. night. Yet another reason to stay home and listen to the game on the radio. Wrigley as an entity is becoming a joke. How sad. Sad for Chicago. Sad for the Cubs. Sad for baseball. Posted by: dib | Apr 18, 2008 12:46:48 PM

yeah, it is disrespectful. the fans even throw a "substitute ball" making it more obnoxious...I always thought that throwing ANYTHING on the field was grounds for ejections --it is in every other ball park. If you don't want the ball --give it to a kid... just wait until a player gets hurt by one of those balls.... not to mention when they litter their "shrine" with garbage when they do not like a call. For Piniella to say "They get into the ballgame" is a joke. half of them have no idea what is going on , they are just there for the Frat party


Posted by: Johnny B. | Apr 18, 2008 12:50:16 PM

I believe the majority of cubs fans are good fans. You just never see them at Wrigley because it's filled with idiots who go there only to drink and don't really care about baseball. The problem is, the highest concentration of idiots are in the most visible part of the park: the bleachers.

No comments: