Sunday, November 05, 2006

Andy's obit from the Tracy Press

Andrew Hamm
June 7, 1960 — Oct. 30, 2006
Services will be Monday for former Tracy Press reporter Andrew Hamm, 46, who suddenly died Monday at his Tracy home.
A native of South New Jersey, Mr. Hamm had lived in Northern California for the last 26 years. A veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, he served from 1978 to 1982 and was discharged as a corporal. Mr. Hamm covered city and police issues for the Press until about 1998, when he left for a position with the Tri-Valley Herald. He spent the last six years reporting for the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal.
Mr. Hamm loved sports, especially baseball, and he played on many recreation softball leagues as an adult. He was an avid fan of Bruce Springsteen. Mr. Hamm was a beloved brother and son and he will be missed by all who knew him.
He is survived by his mother, Jean Hamm; brothers, Douglas Bonnell, and his wife, Amanda, Glenn Hamm, and his wife, Annette, Frank Hamm, and his wife, Trish; sisters, Marianne Bonnell, Paula Hamm, Alice Baker, and her husband, Larry, Janet Brunetti, and her husband, Jon, Betty Carter, and her husband, Dale, Judy Barker, and her husband, Michael, Victoria Anderson, and her husband, Jim; former wives, Esther Gonzales and Zena Robbins; and numerous nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his father, Frank Hamm.
Monday’s services will be from 2 to 4 p.m. at Hotchkiss Mortuary, 5 W. Highland Ave.

Published on Saturday Nov 04, 2006 in http://www.tracypress.com

2 comments:

Nemesis of Evil said...

How sad. I only met Andy once when we were covering a story at Microsoft. I knew he was a great reporter but I was surprised how nice a guy he was. He was genuinely interested in my perspective on local issues and even gave me a contact for a previous story of his that I was following. A tragedy.

Kathy Schrenk said...

You're right, Nem. He would appear gruff on the surface and sometimes raise his voice but he was one of the most genuinely nice guys I've ever known. I remember when I first joined the Band (the ANG softball team) and I was catching and he was the pitcher. One time the ump was giving him a hard time about his pitching form. Andy went off on a rant about how "I've been pitching up and down this coast for 15 years" and that was how he'd always pitched. I was kind of intimidated.